"With Every Breath I Plant The Seeds Of Love. I Am A Farmer Of The Heart"
Maxine Sherrell, MA
PSYCHOTHERAPIST & Counsellor (accred)
EMDR Europe (Accred) Consultant Supervisor
Despite what we may have experienced or been through in life, I believe we each have the potential to flourish and grow, to heal our wounds and the ‘parts’ within so that we may learn to connect and relate to ourselves and others with greater acceptance, compassion and harmony. It can be challenging at times to understand and make sense of our experiences, and sometimes we learn to believe that our ‘way of being’ is simply ‘who we are’, rather than how we may have learned to adapt to what may have happened to us.
Reclaiming and re-membering who we truly are and thus harnessing our true potential enables us to meet ourselves, others and the world in a more fulfilling way. This process can be gradual, and at times challenging, though offers the prospect of deep reward. Engagement in therapy involves a willingness to reflect upon both present and past experience, and to be open to increasing awareness of our true self; an awareness not limited to intellect alone but to a deeper embodied quality of being. Neuroscience reveals the undeniable connection between mind and body, to attain a sense of wholeness, we need to attend to both.
How I Work
As an Integrative Psychotherapist and Counsellor I work within a holistic framework, drawing from various wisdom traditions together with training from a range of trauma and body focused modalities and am influenced too by the experience gained from many years in practice, by story, creative methods, the natural world, our interconnection and the joys and challenges gifted though my own history.
The therapeutic relationship is central to this process, providing the foundation upon which, insight, understanding, growth, healing and change occur. My aim is to work with you collaboratively and creatively in order to meet your own unique needs.
My approach to practice is trauma-informed and draws from ancient and cutting-edge theoretical models spanning East and West. Ongoing developments in neuroscience continue to inform and all combine to form a holistic framework supporting my work. Some more details about some of the specific approaches I offer are detailed below.
Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR)
EMDR therapy supports the healing of symptoms and emotional distress resulting from disturbing life experiences.
EMDR therapy evidences that once the blocks to healing are removed, our brain’s information processing system naturally moves toward health. When we have endured difficult life events, the system can become blocked by the impact of the event, the emotional wound festers resulting in intense emotional, psychological and even physical suffering which we then often manage by other strategies to cope which may in themselves become problematic, such as addictions.
EMDR can get to the root of these issues allowing you to live more fully.
Deep Brain Reorienting (DBR)
Deep Brain Reorienting is a neuro-scientifically based trauma therapy developed by psychiatrist Frank Corrigan.
- EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing) European Accredited Consultant Supervisor
- BACP Accredited Member
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Masters Integrative Psychotherapy and Counselling (University of South Wales)
- Post Graduate Diploma Consultative Supervision (University of South Wales)
- Post Graduate Diploma Psychotherapy and Counselling (Bath Spa University)
- Advanced Diploma Psychotherapy and Counselling (IMI)
- Diploma in Sand Tray Therapy (DSCP)
- Mindfulness Teacher Training (Breathworks)
As an Accredited professional, I follow the BACP code of ethics and my work is supervised according to professional guidelines.
My professional experience has spanned more than two decades and has included training in a range of approaches including trauma specific approaches including Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) and Deep Brain Reorienting (DBR).
- Integral Somatic Psycotherapy (in progress with Dr. Raja Selvam)
- Deep Brain Reorienting (Dr. Frank Corrigan)
- Comprehensive Resource Model: Basics; Advanced Core Self; Intergenerational; Dissociative Mapping) (Lisa Schwartz Comprehensive Resource Model)
- Flash Technique (Phil Mansfield)
- Attachment Focused EMDR (Laurel Parnell)
- Attachment Informed EMDR (Mark Brayne)
- Brainspotting 1 and 2 (with Philip Dutton – originator, David Grande)
- Advanced Integrative Therapy, Basics and Presence (Asha Clinton)
- Emotional Freedom Technique
Many additional Continuing Professional Development courses have been undertaken.